Be alert: watch for pedestrians at all times
- Scan the road and the sides of the road ahead for potential pedestrians.
- Before making a turn, look in all directions for pedestrians crossing.
- Don't drive distracted or after consuming alcohol or other drugs.
- Look carefully behind your vehicle for approaching pedestrians before backing-up, especially small children.
- For maximum visibility, keep your windshield clean and headlights on.
Be responsible: stop for pedestrians at crossings
- Stop for pedestrian crosswalks, weather marked or unmarked.
- Stop for pedestrians when making right or left turns at intersections.
- Do not block or park in crosswalks.
Be patient: Drive the speed limit and avoid aggressive maneuvers
- Never pass/overtake a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Obey speed limits and come to a complete stop at STOP signs.
- Use extra caution when driving near children playing along the street or older pedestrians who may not see or hear you.
- Always be prepared to stop for pedestrians.
City crosswalk flag program & Safety tips for pedestrians